HOW TO CARE FOR COTTON
Cotton is a soft material. Cool and comfortable, it’s perfect for summer or for those with allergies.
If you’re unsure about how to care for a particular cotton item, check the washing symbols for the recommended cleaning instructions.
Follow these steps to take the best care of your cotton tops and other cotton garments.
1. PRE-TREAT STAINS & MACHINE WASH: Prepare your cotton garment for a machine wash by spraying a quality stain remover on any stains. Add detergent to the washing machine. Use colour-safe detergent for your coloured cotton items, or a mild bleach product for white items. Be sure not to use too much as this can damage the fabric.
2. RINSE COTTON GARMENTS IN COOL WATER: You can wash your cotton items in warm water, but be sure to rinse in cold water so your cotton clothing doesn’t shrink.
3. DRY ON THE LINE OR IN THE DRYER ON A LOW HEAT: You can dry cotton in the dryer on a low heat setting, but it’s recommended to dry your cotton garments on the clothes line. This is also a great way to save time on ironing.
4. IRON TO GET RID OF WRINKLES: Cotton is prone to wrinkles. Once your cotton clothes are dry, run over them with a hot steam iron. Use a light misting of starch to keep them crisp for longer.
1. WASH WOOLLEN ITEMS IN COLD WATER: Always wash wool in cold water to preserve thread quality and avoid shrinkage. Wool doesn’t need to be washed too often. Most manufacturers recommend washing your woollen garment once a season.
2. LAY YOUR WOOLLEN CLOTHING FLAT TO DRY: In order to dry your woollen clothing, you must never use heat. No dryers or heaters, as these will cause your garment to shrink. Instead lay your woollen garment flat and allow it to air dry.
3. TAKE EXTRA CARE WITH WOOL: Never iron wool. Instead turn it inside out and steam the item using the steam setting on your iron.
HOW TO CARE FOR SILK
Silk is a natural fabric made from the fibre from silkworm cocoons, making it the elegant and stylish choice. It’s often used for evening wear, special occasions and luxurious sleepwear.
This is a delicate material and needs to be looked after appropriately. If in doubt, follow the item’s individual care instructions by checking the washing symbols.
These are the common recommendations for caring for silk.
1. DRY CLEAN OR GENTLY HAND WASH SILK: Generally, silk should only ever be dry-cleaned. But if you must wash it at home, hand wash it using a small amount of gentle soap. Be very careful when handling it wet because it can become misshapen.
2. ONLY AIR DRY SILK ITEMS: Avoid wringing out your silk item, or tumble drying it, as this will damage the fibres. Instead leave it to air dry.
1. USE A PROTECTANT SPRAY BEFORE YOUR FIRST USE: If you’ve recently purchased a leather garment, it’s a good idea to use a leather protectant spray to ensure that it doesn’t become water damaged.
2.DUST USING A SOFT BRISTLED BRUSH: If you want to clean your favourite leather item, begin by dusting the leather garment with a soft bristled brush.
3. WIPE TO CLEAN YOUR LEATHER GARMENT: Wipe the surface of your leather garment with a damp cloth to remove any marks and then wipe with a dry cloth.
4.USE A LEATHER CONDITIONER: Conditioning your leather with a leather conditioner will prevent the leather from drying it out and cracking, as well as keeping it soft and improving the longevity.
5. DRY CLEAN LEATHER OCCASIONALLY: If your leather item has wrinkles, or needs a good clean, it’s best to take it to a dry cleaner who specialises in leather.
How to care for hemp cotton
Hemp is one of the most durable fabrics and can last you for years. If you know how to take care of it.
Just like with any fabrics, you are able to wash hemp clothes in the washing machine or through handwashing.
Handwashing is generally more gentle on any type of fabric. Although hemp is more durable than the other types of fabrics, so you can stick to the washing machine without potentially damaging the fibers of your garments.
1. Always use cold water unless the clothes have heavy stains.
2. Never use chlorinated bleach, this can easily stain the hemp.
3. For heavily stained garments presoak the clothes in warm water and spot treat with soft detergents.
4. Always wash colored hemp fabrics in cold water to preserve the color.
Nylon is a durable, strong and lightweight fabric that is resistant to creasing. Even better, the colour does not fade.
Follow these steps to take the best care of your nylon garments:
1. COLD MACHINE WASH: nylon should be washed separately on a cold water setting. Preferably hand wash if can.
2. DO NOT TUMBLE DRY: Nylon does not take long to dry, put wet clothing on a non-staining hanger and be diligent about hanging in direct sun light.
3. DO NOT CHLORINE BLEACH: use regular laundry detergents and never use bleach